The Pokémon TCG is a card game played in rounds between two players. To get started with the Pokemon, each player is required to play with a deck of 60 playing cards. To have a good chance at winning each game, the player will need to have a good selection of cards in their deck that work well together and consist of a good mix of Pokémon and supporting cards.
Getting Started with Digital
Before getting started with physical cards, the free online digital version of the Pokémon TCG called Pokémon TCG Live is a great way to learn the game with no investment. Pokémon TCG Live can be played on Mac, Windows, Andriod tablet (Play Store) or iOS tablet(App Store).
Getting Started with Physical Cards
A great way to get started is to purchase a theme deck, battle deck, build & battle deck or battle academy. Each option below contains one or more decks that are a full set of 60 playing cards designed to allow players to play the game out of the box without having to build their own decks. Additionally, all options will also include all the required items to learn and play the game.
Option 1: Build & Battle Boxes
Build & Battle Stadium boxes are another great option for building your first deck. Each Build & Battle Stadium box comes with the following:
- 2 individual Build & Battle Boxes, each containing a 23-card Evolution pack to build your decks
- Evolution packs contain 1 of 4 unique foil promo cards
- 4 additional booster packs (each containing 10 cards and 1 basic Energy), so you get 12 booster packs in all
- 121 Pokémon TCG Energy cards
- 6 damage-counter dice
- 2 competition-legal coin-flip dice
- 2 acrylic condition markers
- A collector’s box to hold everything
- A code card for the Pokémon Trading Card Game
Check out some of these build and battle decks that are perfect to get started:
Option 2: Theme & Battle Decks
Alternatively, These theme decks or battle decks and their contents make them a perfect purchase get started playing the Pokémon Trading Card Game with friends! Each theme or battle deck’s content will vary but often include the following:
- 60 Pokémon card deck
- 1 metallic coin
- playmat and rulesheet
- 1 code card to play the deck online
- 1 deck box
- Damage counters
- 1 card checklist
Here is a selection of theme or battle decks that are perfect to get started:
Option 3: Battle Academy
Another great option when getting started is to purchase the Pokémon Trading Card Game Battle Academy 2. The Battle Academy 2 includes everything two players need to play, with guides to the decks so your first game is easy to follow.
You can choose Cinderace V, Pikachu V or Eevee V to lead your team in a heads-up battle against another Trainer. Then, switch up the decks to play and lead a different team of Pokémon into the arena!
Expanding Your Collection
Once you have mastered using your theme deck against friends, you can expand your card collection with other theme decks, booster packs, single cards or trade with other players. The Pokemon TCG Trainer’s Toolkit is perfect for turning your card collection into playable, fun, and winning Pokémon Trading Card Game decks! The Toolkit contains a plethora of Trainer cards and Energy cards, plus a Deck Builder’s Guide to putting them all together to create a deck that showcases your best Pokemon!
Pokémon TCG: Trainer’s Toolkit
- More than 50 useful cards to power up your decks, including dozens of Trainer cards and Arceus V, and Arceus VSTAR
- More than 100 Energy cards, including Special Energy
- 4 Pokémon TCG booster packs
- 65 card sleeves to protect your deck
- 1 acrylic VSTAR marker
- A Deck Builder’s Guide
- A complete Pokémon TCG rulebook
- 6 damage-counter dice
- 2 condition markers
- A code card for the Pokémon TCG Online
We hope this article has been helpful and wish you luck on your Pokémon journey!